• Obtained funding grants of £10,000 to help boost retail trade in Market Weighton and Bridlington.
• Nominated for ‘MP of the month’ by road Safety Charity BRAKE for campaigning for improvements on A1079.
• Successfully lobbied for funding for the new A1079 Holme Road roundabout.
• Obtained flood defences for Stamford Bridge.
• Helped to obtain £1.2 million from the government for areas affected by coastal erosion in the East Riding.
• Obtained additional £8 million funding for dualling a section of the A1079 awarded in January 2015.
• Opened a newly refurbished operating theatre at Bridlington Hospital made possible with £500,000 additional investment under Conservative Health Minister Andrew Lansley MP who visited the hospital at Greg’s request.
• With other local MPs, successfully secured a fairer school funding formula.
• With other local MPs, successfully secured a Toll reduction on the Humber Bridge.
• Is campaigning for the retention of services at Driffield and Bridlington hospitals.
• Greg was the first MP to raise in the House of Commons the need for more investment to prevent future flooding. Since 2016 he has chaired the River Hull Advisory Board which is working to improve flood prevention across the East Riding.
• Successfully campaigned against the Thornholme Fields wind farm application and secured a change in Conservative Party policy to completely remove the windfarm subsidy so that future on-shore windfarm applications will not be attractive to developers to pursue.
• Campaigned for new wheel clamping legislation.
• Successfully lobbied Government to introduce new ‘consumer friendly’ credit card regulations.
• With three other politicians, in 2014 he was presented with an award for helping to raise £1 million for charity since 2004.
• Successfully proposed an amendment to the Licensing Act so that all pubs were given a ‘Drinking Up Time’ of 20 minutes in place of just 10 minutes (this has since been further amended).
• Successfully campaigned for the introduction of a Foreign Lorry user charge.
• Helped forced the Payments Council to reverse its decision on abolishing cheques.
• Campaigned successfully for cuts to fuel duty and beer duty, and Sir Greg has been thanked by the British Beer and Pub Association for the part he played in securing beer duty reductions in two Budgets.
• Successfully fought for a cut in Bingo Duty.
• Successfully campaigned against excessive hospital car parking charges
• Successfully lobbied the government for increased road investment and improved flood defences.
• Has campaigned successfully for a commitment from Government to install CCTV cameras in slaugterhouses across the UK.
• Led calls in Parliament for an end to Japanese whale and dolphin slaughter.
How do Local MPs Compare?
It is very difficult to compare the work of MPs because not all of the work is undertaken in the Chamber and some MPs have extra Committee work from time to time.
However, the official figures for the past year show that Greg came second from the top of local MPs in the number of times spoken in the House of Commons.
The full figures are:
Diana Johnson MP 99
Sir Greg Knight MP 27
Karl Turner MP 23
David Davis MP 21
Emma Hardy MP 5
Graham Stuart MP 1